Tuesday, December 05, 2006

Until I met Kimchi!


No Korean meal - and no Korea-related blog - without kimchi!

Upon registrering for the International Gathering for Korean Adoptees in Seoul next August 2007, participants are asked to write a short quote about what it means to be adopted or how it has affected one's life. Well, that is - I get 25 words to coin the essence of this lifespan of first hand experience on the issue. So - I had to go 'meta' - here's what came up:
"Growing up
being part of someone unknown, something unseen
has been like a journey without a starting point
without an ending point
- until I met Kimchi!"
Kimchi is "gourmet" to some and "get-it-away-from-me" to others! It's fermented cabbage with loads of garlic, ginger and chilli - and Korea and kimchi are synonyms! Korea is kimchi and kimchi is Korea..


Like love is more that being in love, being Korean is more that being born Korean. It's a journey which is constituted within the individual person, based on a bodily experience - as Merlau-Ponty would agree.. - however, I have no clue as to whether Merlau-Ponty liked kimchi or not!

Travelling in Korea some 8 years ago, being vegetarian, I lived of a delicious diet, consisting of rice, seaweed and kimchi - but next summer I'll be sure to go visit Sanchon restaurants for a more gourmet version of the Korean vegetarian kitchen! Experiences of life so far, being Korean, adopted, a woman, a daughter, a friend, a human being are not easily expressed in words. But the taste of kimchi....whether I eat kimchi here or in Korea - in the company of Koreans, adoptees or by my self...somehow defines the undefinable.

4 Comments:

Blogger Betsy said...

You've made my mouth water! I loooooooooooove kimchi! Maybe I've got some Korean blood in me somewhere?

4:24 AM  
Blogger Brit Kim said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

2:06 PM  
Blogger Brit Kim said...

Somewhere I heard that if one goes back 6 generations.. we're all related to each other somehow - but it would explain your "Martial Arts attitude" to life's constant surprises :) bend, receive and strike back with twice the force ! - hi hi.. We should meet soon for kimchi

2:08 PM  
Blogger laura said...

You should check out the Kimchi museum at the COEX mall in Seoul when you are here.
I love Kimchi.
It is said to be one of the healthiest foods in the world (not just by Koreans).
http://www.health.com/health/article/0,23414,1149143,00.html
The Koreans' claim is that Kimchi is the reason that SARS didn't make it to Korea during the outbreak.
:)

2:58 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< <$BlogHome$>