Saturday, April 07, 2007

When will North Korea "switch the lights on" ?

a satelite photo by night of North and South Korea

When I visited Korea for the first time as an adult in 1998 - I kept within my comfort zone and stayed away from visiting the DMZ - and thus stored away the issues of North and South Korea in my subconciousness. But lately - North Korea has been increasingly in my awareness.

Back in my university days as a minor-student in Korean language and culture I was introduced to a beautiful narration of the once so powerful hermit kingdom - including the mythichal status of the Diamond Mountains - which are situated in the northern part of the then united Korea - upon which the founder of Korea is believed to have descended from the heavenly abodes.. the second fact I learned is that the DMZ is a tourist attraction - and one of the last reminences of The Cold War. But what I seem to remember lately - are pictures and videos of children dying of hunger in the streets.. I don't know who to ask to validate these pictures and videos.. I don't know much about North Korea first hand - only via media, tv and Youtube videos..but even if 90 % of the information/propaganda is manipulated - then the remaining 10 % of 'truth' would be sufficient to say.. North Korea - please switch on the lights and let the night come to an end..

I welcome comments from anyone online that may help me find more information on North Koreans and bring me to understand how children, love, freedom and happiness can be violated in the name of -- politics, ideologies, manifests.. but then again - what do I know?


Blogger Mo said...

I worry about North Korea as well. For another look at North Korea, I suggest you watch the documentary Seoul Train. I cried.

5:13 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< <$BlogHome$>